Closing Date: 31 March 2017
We currently have exciting opportunities for Assistant Producers to join our award-winning STV news team.
STV news is enhancing its range of services and the Assistant Producer role is at the heart of everything we do. The role is based in the Glasgow newsroom and comprises of a variety of elements from crafting pieces with individual reporters to outputting programmes. In addition there is also the opportunity to work on our new integrated News programme STV News Tonight and our flagship current affairs programme Scotland Tonight.
To succeed in this role the successful candidate must have good ideas and a strong sense of what makes an interesting story as well as a having a good eye for detail and a firm knowledge of the legal and editorial guidelines.
You must be able to demonstrate clear and effective communication skills with the ability to brief staff clearly, effectively and quickly in challenging and rapidly changing circumstances. You will be a calm thinker under pressure and possess strong influencing and negotiating skills with the ability to ensure the correct outcomes are achieved.
• Work with reporters to produce compelling content which makes an impact on both digital and TV outlets.
• Generate ideas for stories/features and following leads from a variety of sources.
• Presentation of stories in a professional and accurate manner.
• Develop and maintain a good contacts base.
• Provide content to appropriate editorial and production standards STV’s broadcast and digital channels.
• Deliver effective news coverage in both live and recorded formats; ensuring story content and treatment meet the requirements of individual programmes.
• Deliver effective forward planning, ensuring all news programmes deliver the appropriate mix of diary and off-diary coverage.
• Work closely with the Editors, News Programmes and Channels Operations Manager to ensure news content is delivered appropriately to meet platform requirements in a cost-effective way.
Skills & experience:
• Demonstrable experience of working in a fast breaking News environment.
• A highly-developed news sense, demonstrating the ability to handle major breaking news stories, develop original news features and deliver agenda-setting journalism.
• A detailed knowledge of the Scottish news agenda and the law as it affects Scotland.
• An original approach to news coverage with the confidence to develop new ways of covering the news agenda.
• Ability to meet tight deadlines and work in a dynamic live news environment.
• Evidence of the ability to communicate effectively and adopt a calm approach under pressure.
• Determination to succeed and to overcome obstacles.
To apply please email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that due to the anticipated high volume of applications only candidates shortlisted for interview will be contacted.