Closing Date: 31 March 2017
A vacancy has arisen for a News Organiser, who will help STV News bring the best news coverage to Scotland, both in broadcast and online. The post is based in Glasgow, but you will be working closely with news teams across the country to drive our news content on both TV and digital platforms. We’re looking for a journalist who can multitask, is calm under pressure, who can spot and react to a story on the day, has strong editorial judgement but can also take a lead in pushing the story forward.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Anticipate and react to the news agenda with regards to story ideas and treatments.
- Drive the content of the programmes
- Take the lead on breaking news stories and ensure all outlets are provided for.
- Work closely with programme producers to get the best content to air.
- Responsible for generating original ideas and stories.
- Work effectively with news teams around the country to ensure the best possible coverage for STV News, both for broadcast and online.
- Ensure information on future news events is gathered effectively and decisions on the future assignment of resources are taken at the appropriate time
- Assisting in other aspects of the work of STV as is reasonably required.
- Planning stories
The following skills and abilities are essential for success in this role:
- Strong editorial judgement
- Demonstrable newsgathering experience in TV, radio or other media.
- A detailed knowledge of the Scottish news and current affairs agenda and the law as it affects journalism in Scotland.
- An in-depth knowledge of the Scottish legal system and the Scottish Parliament.
- An original approach to news coverage with the confidence to develop new ways of covering the news agenda on all platforms.
- A detailed knowledge in online delivery of news and the convergence of our on-air programming and on-line offering.
- A sound knowledge and understanding of a 24 hour news operation would be beneficial.
- Confident communication and ability to liaise effectively with both technical and non technical personnel, adopting a calm approach under pressure.
- Self-motivation and strong interpersonal skills essential to build productive relationships with colleagues, internal departments and external stakeholders.
- Determination and drive to succeed, overcome obstacles and to meet the demands of working in a busy news environment.
- Experience in journalism essential.
Early applications are encouraged and due to the anticipated high volume of applications received for this vacancy only candidates who have been shortlisted for interview will be contacted further in this regard.
To apply please email your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org