Digital News Editor
Closing Date: 31 March 2017
This is more than just a newsdesk job. We want someone with a strong news sense, bags of enthusiasm and passion for leading a team of digital reporters, incorporating news, sport, features and video.
You’ll commission breaking news stories before the rest of the media catches up. You’ll take responsibility for push notifications to thousands of mobile customers on the biggest stories.
In addition you'll be able to spot a story and instinctively know the most interesting, compelling angle. You’ll know social media platforms and understand the role they play. We aren’t all about clickbait.
It’s a role for someone with new ideas, good communication skills and the ability to shape an enthusiastic team.
We have completely reworked the way STV gathers and produces news. This role is based in our Glasgow news hub and you’ll work to bring together Scotland’s best news and current affairs programmes and leading online service.
Working as part of the cross platform news gathering team, we want to tell broadcast stories in a uniquely digital way.
• Lead commissioning for STV’s online news stories across all our platforms.
• Supervise a team of reporters producing compelling stories that people want to click and share.
• Research, verify and source online news material under the pressure of a rolling deadline.
• Shape and build Scotland’s number one social media news service.
• Work as an integral part of STV News broadcast and online team, to help produce a wide range of news, sport, features and video content.
• Assist in any other aspects of the work of the company as reasonably required.
Skills and Experience
• A journalism-related qualification is desirable but not essential.
• Demonstrable experience in a fast-breaking news environment - gained in a broadcast, digital, print, radio or agency newsroom.
• News judgement of the highest quality.
• Established social media presence and a deep understanding of how to use modern journalism tools.
• Excellent communication skills to provide the link between broadcast and online news.
• Strong grasp of Scottish news and current affairs.
• Make instant decisions on the law, ethics and regulatory framework required for digital journalism.
It’s an exciting time for STV News as we continue to evolve our news service across all platforms. We are already established as Scotland’s leading commercial news service, producing content for five million users every month.
Early applications are encouraged and due to the anticipated high volume of applications received for this vacancy only candidates who have been shortlisted for interview will be contacted further in this regard.
To apply please email your CV and covering letter to email@example.com