Digital Sub Editor
Closing Date: 30 November 2017
STV News is Scotland’s leading commercial news service, producing content for five million users every month. We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Digital Sub Editor to join our talented news team based in Glasgow.
The successful candidate will be responsible for improving the quality and standards of digital output and in assisting with the ordering and promotion of news articles on STV’s websites and apps.
You will be able to sub and rewrite news to the highest standards of accuracy under the pressure of a rolling deadline. You will have a passion for quality and detail with a relentless focus on getting the story right.
You will have strong news values, excellent communication skills and understand the law, ethics and regulation of digital journalism.
You will be required to:
- Sub and rewrite articles to the highest editorial standards.
- Write compelling headlines that entice our audiences to click and share and which search engines can find easily.
- Provide constructive feedback to editorial teams on standards of copy.
- Order and edit news index pages on web, apps and digital services.
- Actively participate in social media.
- Work as an integral member of the STV News broadcast and online team.
You will need to have:
- Demonstrable depth of experience in sub editing gained in a broadcast, digital, print, radio or agency newsroom.
- An understanding and application of the law, ethics and regulation of digital journalism.
- An appreciation of the technical dimension of building a digital audience.
- Experience of working with editorial teams to drive quality through constructive feedback.
- A strong developed news sense and an understanding of the type, blend and style of content that works within STV’s values.
- A wide knowledge of Scottish news and current affairs.
- A degree or equivalent in a Journalism related qualification is desirable.
To apply please send a full CV and covering letter to email@example.com
Early applications are encouraged and due to the anticipated high volume of applications received for this vacancy only candidates who have been shortlisted for interview will be contacted further in this regard.