Senior Software Engineer
Closing Date: 13 September 2019
STV is Scotland’s leading digital media brand. Each month, our commercial broadcast channel reaches 3.5 million viewers and the STV Player is the fastest growing Video on Demand service in the UK. This role is a unique opportunity to work on a multi-platform product that reaches a huge national audience across Scotland.
About the role
As a Senior Software Engineer you will be working within cross-functional teams in STV Digital, delivering the back-end services that power the STV Player video streaming platform. The Player is going through a period of rapid growth, so it’s really important to craft scalable and resilient services that meet the growing demand on the streaming service.
You will own the services you work on from cradle to grave - helping product management and engineering leadership define the requirements and architecture, through to supporting the services running in production.
Many of our services are implemented in PHP, but it would be great if you have a passion for cloud computing (we use AWS), as we are increasingly moving towards a cloud-native architecture that utilises services such as Lambdas and a range of languages including Python and Go.
We're looking for candidates with...
- At least 3 years of professional experience as a software engineer
- Sound knowledge of object-oriented programming and design patterns.
- Demonstrable experience of using a TDD approach
- Experience of working with and building REST APIs.
- Strong evidence of team working, mentoring, supporting and sharing knowledge with team members.
- A passion for continual improvement and how to optimise a complex operational system utilising various technologies and components.
- A confident, ambitious and curious approach to exploiting the latest digital products and trends
- A degree in computing science, or a related technical discipline
- A good working knowledge of PHP & associated frameworks
- Experience of working on high-traffic, large-scale cloud applications.
- Experience of using a BDD approach using Cucumber or similar
- Experience using Continuous Delivery tools to rapidly deploy changes to production
- Knowledge of logging and metrics to help you determine if changes have been successful
Early applications are encouraged and due to the anticipated high volume of applications received for this vacancy only candidates who have been shortlisted for interview will be contacted further in this regard.
STV is committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce and equality of opportunity for all. We strongly encourage applications from candidates from all backgrounds and as a Disability Confident employer we are committed to offer an interview to disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria for the role.