Closing Date: 26 June 2019
STV is Scotland’s leading digital media brand. Each month, our commercial broadcast channel reaches 3.5 million viewers and the STV Player is the fastest growing Video on Demand service in the UK. This role is a unique opportunity to work on a multi-platform product that reaches a huge national audience across Scotland.
Our mission is to make the STV Player the digital entertainment gateway for Scotland.
As part of the newly formed Digital division, we believe that the best customer experiences are designed inclusively. We feel working closely with product owners; developers and other stakeholders makes the whole process of building a product more effective. We are working towards creating a collaborative design process that is informed by data.
You will work together with the Data team to conduct research identifying interesting problems, opportunities and ideas for personalisation of the Player and work as part of a cross functional team to explore solutions. Once you and the team are confident with the solution, you will produce a high-fidelity prototype and organise testing sessions which were observed by the team.
Throughout the year you and the design team will build relationships with various charities and coordinated user research sessions to evaluate the inclusiveness of the STV Player. This work will help you to create a design system and incorporate these into our design principles.
Development for the team’s solution will start and you will begin to explore further and conduct design QA to make sure everything that is released meets our accepted standards. With each release you and the team will learn a little more about what is working and what isn’t.
Skills & experience
- Previously worked on a live, customer-facing product but we’re interested in speaking with designers with varied experiences and backgrounds.
- Excellent communication skills: friendly, adaptable and able to work well within a small team, as well as having an aptitude for establishing wider stakeholder relationships.
- Ability to translate business requirements and user objectives into clearly defined problems to be solved.
- Experience of gathering, synthesising and sharing research from various sources, including competitor analysis, consumer insights and analytics, as well as conducting/observing user interviews.
- Comfortable taking design ownership of projects from requirements gathering to execution, user testing, design QA, release and iteration, working together in close partnership with developers, testers and product owners to deliver on outcomes.
- Highly skilled in producing UI design deliverables: sketches, wireframes, high fidelity mocks and interactive prototypes.
- Ability to articulate the value of UX and involving real people as part of the design process - you’re driven by curiosity and like to question the “why?” of user behaviour.
- Self motivation and ability to self manage projects and deliver work to required deadlines.
- Facilitation skills, especially around leading workshops and running design sprints.
- Experience of designing for Video on Demand or other streaming media services.
- Experience in motion/animation design, in particular designing microinteractions.
- A love of television and film and an awareness of the challenges facing the broadcast media industry
Early applications are encouraged and due to the anticipated high volume of applications received for this vacancy, only candidates who have been shortlisted for interview will be contacted further in this regard.
STV is committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce and equality of opportunity for all. We strongly encourage applications from candidates from all backgrounds and as a Disability Confident employer we are committed to offer an interview to disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria for the role.