Closing Date: 31 January 2020
From concept to completion, you’ll be working within our in-house development teams, to transform the STV Player into a world-class platform. Our challenge is to blend leading edge technology with intuitive user interfaces and engaging user experiences.
STV is Scotland’s leading digital media brand. Each month, our commercial broadcast channel reaches 3.5 million viewers and the STV Player is the fastest growing Video on Demand service in the UK. This role is a unique opportunity to work on a multi-platform product that reaches a huge national audience across Scotland.
About the role
As an Android Developer you will be working within the mobile team in STV Digital, delivering the native STV Player mobile application. The Player is going through a period of rapid growth, so it’s really important to craft scalable and resilient applications that meet the growing demand on the streaming service.
You will own the apps you work on from cradle to grave - helping product management and engineering leadership define the requirements and architecture, through to supporting the services running in production.
Our Android application is currently undergoing an architectural shift towards MVVM, and we are also in the process of converting the application to Kotlin as we complete this work, so experience of MVVM and Kotlin would be great.
We’re looking for candidates with…
- At least 2 years of professional experience as a mobile engineer
- Experience of native app development on Android platforms.
- Knowledge of the mobile development lifecycle, emerging trends, tools and technologies.
- Sound knowledge of object-oriented programming and design patterns.
- A good working knowledge of Java, Kotlin & associated frameworks
- Strong evidence of team working, mentoring, supporting and sharing knowledge with team members.
- Demonstrable experience of using a Test Driven Development approach.
- A degree in computing science, or a related technical discipline
- Experience of using a BDD approach
- Experience with UI testing framework like Espresso
- Knowledge of logging and metrics to help you determine if changes have been successful
- Knowledge of the MVVM design pattern
- Experience with video streaming or media playback
Early applications are encouraged and due to the anticipated high volume of applications received for this vacancy only candidates who have been shortlisted for interview will be contacted further in this regard.
STV is committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce and equality of opportunity for all. We strongly encourage applications from candidates from all backgrounds and as a Disability Confident employer we are committed to offer an interview to disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria for the role.