Production Journalist, Scotland Tonight (12 month Fixed Term Contract)
Closing Date: 28 September 2021
You will work closely with the Producer and Assistant Producers to help shape an agenda for Scotland Tonight that is compelling, engaging and distinct.
From interviews with key voices to pictures of incredible moments, this role is focused on developing and sourcing content that really connects with audiences.
This is a flexible position that may be aligned to a single output but will more commonly supply material tailored for use on broadcast, digital and social platforms for Scotland Tonight.
The Production Journalist will be providing content to the highest editorial and production standards for Scotland Tonight.
- Provide creative editorial input to the running order of programme
- Ability to generate and develop ideas for Scotland Tonight interviews and discussions
- Research, collate evidence and information to support stories using relevant information sources.
- Write up tailored research briefs ahead of interviews and discussions
- Develop contacts across political parties and other organisations including universities and third sector groups
- Assist in developing Scotland Tonight's digital presence to allow the programme's content to reach as wide an audience as possible
- Provide enhanced video acquisition to record and edit packages for broadcast and digital platforms.
- Presentation of news stories in a professional and unbiased manner.
- Conduct both live and recorded interviews.
- Deliver polished package reports using editing software.
- Assist in any other aspects of the work of the company as reasonably required.
Skills & Experience:
- A detailed knowledge of Scottish and UK politics (as well as Scottish news and current affairs).
- Relevant related journalism experience gained within a broadcast environment
- A detailed knowledge of the Scottish news agenda and the law as it affects Scotland.
- Experience of producing content for multiple platforms.
- A strong and developed news sense, with the ability to handle major news stories, develop original news features and overall to deliver agenda-setting journalism.
- Demonstrable experience of working in a fast breaking News environment.
- An original approach to journalism with the confidence to develop innovative new ways of covering the news agenda.
- Able to develop an online presence through our digital platforms and the use of social media.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and remain calm, resilient and adaptable in a dynamic live news environment.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and team working skills to liaise effectively with colleagues, internal and external clients at all levels.
- Driven approach and use of own initiative to overcome challenges.
This role will involve working a combination of day and back shifts as well as weekends.
To apply please email a full CV & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 28 September 2021
STV is committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce and to equality of opportunity for all. We encourage applications from candidates currently under-represented in our industry, so we are keen to hear from people from a Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic background, disabled people and those from a lower socio-economic background. We are a Disability Confident employer and are committed to offering an interview to disabled candidates who meet the minimum eligibility criteria for the role.