Multi-Media Journalist, Edinburgh - 9 month fixed-term contract
Closing Date: 19 August 2022
STV is Scotland’s home of news and entertainment, serving audiences with quality content on air, online and on demand. STV’s broadcast channel, accessible free-to-air on all the main TV platforms in Scotland, reaches 3.5 million viewers each month and is home to some of the biggest and most popular shows on television. Flagship news programme STV News at Six continues to grow its audience share.
As a multi-media journalist, you will be adept at producing both engaging online content and compelling broadcast material with strong storytelling at the heart of your work.
You will need great ideas and the confidence and resilience to see them through to transmission and publication. You will also need to have a clear understanding of current affairs and the social and cultural trends that are shaping the country.
You will help STV explore new platforms and help lead the way in improving the Edinburgh newsroom’s digital output.
This is an opportunity to join one of Scotland’s leading news teams and to help serve our audiences with engaging, accessible and trusted journalism on broadcast and online.
- Dealing with breaking stories across all platforms adopting a digital first work ethic.
- On the day production, editing and media management of original content for STV News on all platforms.
- Pre-planning and initiating off-diary story ideas.
- Self-shooting quality video and stills for broadcast and digital output on a variety of devices.
- Writing clear, accurate and accessible content for use on our website and digital platforms.
- Assisting in live programming/streaming, reporting live as required.
Skills and Experience
- First-class journalist with a passion for news and an ability to work to deadlines across a range of media platforms.
- Strong editorial sense with the ability to research and generate original content for a unique STV audience
- Engage with audiences using social and digital media
- Ability to write compelling, accurate stories, grammatically correct and sharp on detail
- Experience of producing longer form broadcast and online content is an advantage
- Strong communication, interpersonal and team working skills to liaise effectively with colleagues, internal and external contacts at all levels.
- A comprehensive knowledge of the Scottish news agenda and an affinity with the STV audience.
- A sound knowledge of the law in Scotland as it affects journalism.
- Self-motivated with excellent interpersonal skills.
- A clear commitment to the principles of multi-skilling and to an integrated approach to news output.
- Desk-top editing: preferably knowledge of Avid Newscutter/Media Composer and Adobe Premiere editing systems or similar.
- Excellent IT skills with experience of working with CMS and video-publishing systems desirable.
- There are plenty of reasons why it’s great to work at STV, here are just a few of the perks for you;
- 25 days paid annual leave and 9 public holidays per annum
- An extra day’s holiday on your birthday.
- Healthcare cash plan providing Company contributions towards dental, optical, wellbeing or other healthcare costs.
- Company pension contribution.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Season ticket travel loan.
- On-site occupational health service.
- Flexible benefits portal providing a range of retail and gym discounts.
To apply please email a full CV and cover letter to email@example.com