Principal Engineer, Connected TV
Closing Date: 13 August 2021
Location: Flexible -regular travel to Glasgow office required
Our streaming service grew faster than any other broadcaster VOD platform in 2020 – up 68% – thanks in large part to the growing popularity of Player-exclusive content, which now makes up around one third of all digital viewing.
The Player’s addressable audience increased considerably after being added to Sky Q across the UK in December, following UK-wide launches on Freeview Play and Virgin Media earlier in the year. It is now pre-installed in over 17 million UK broadband-enabled homes – around 70% of the total.
About the role
We have an exciting opportunity for a Principal Engineer to lead the day to day activities of the Software Developers in our Connected TV team, providing strong technical guidance & leadership to ensure that projects are delivered on time and to budget. You and will be fully empowered to create the technical vision and lead the delivery of the product.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Own the technical roadmap, software development vision and strategy and all architectural decisions of the function.
- Define and embodies the software development standards expected of the engineering team
- Work closely with the Product Managers regarding development within the function, to ensure development takes into account all aspects of product requirements including customer experience, architecture and security and data
- Provide technical knowledge, mentorship and leadership to the software development team to continually improve and drive technical and delivery performance within function. Note that the role does not require line management of the team
- Lead the day-to-day team project delivery including identification and engagement of third parties where applicable.
- Actively contribute to software development itself
- Work closely with the Engineering Lead and fellow Principal Engineers to define, document and distribute engineering best practice and standards across the Product streams.
- Support the Engineering Lead in resourcing activities (including interviews and technical test preparation) and the on boarding of new team members, leading and driving engagement activities with external stakeholders e.g. College/University partners to support and develop a future talent pipeline for the Development team.
- Assist in any other aspect of the work of the company as reasonably required.
Skills & experience:
- Expertise in identifying, defining and championing the appropriate software architecture in alignment with company vision.
- Experience of providing technical leadership, motivating and mentoring a team of developers.
- Strong evidence of team working, supporting and sharing knowledge with colleagues.
- A collaborative approach with the ability to interact and collaborate effectively with internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
- Pro-active attitude and willingness to constantly refine and enhance products and services.
- A confident, ambitious and curious approach to exploiting the latest digital products and trends.
- Experience of managing a full development life cycle.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
To apply please send a covering letter explaining why you think this job is for you, and full CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
STV is committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce and to equality of opportunity for all. We encourage applications from candidates currently under-represented in our industry, so we are keen to hear from people from a Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic background, disabled people (including neuro diversity) and those from a lower socio-economic background. We are a Disability Confident employer and are committed to offering an interview to disabled candidates who meet the minimum eligibility criteria for the role