Closing Date: 30 April 2021
Location: Flexible -regular travel to Glasgow office required
The world of streaming is fast-paced and constantly changing, and we are determined to lead the way with our new digital strategy.
From concept to completion, you’ll be working within our in-house development teams, to transform the STV Player into a world-class platform. Our challenge is to blend leading edge technology with intuitive user interfaces and engaging user experiences.
Our streaming service grew faster than any other broadcaster VOD platform in 2020 – up 68% – thanks in large part to the growing popularity of Player-exclusive content, which now makes up around one third of all digital viewing.
The Player’s addressable audience increased considerably after being added to Sky Q across the UK in December, following UK-wide launches on Freeview Play and Virgin Media earlier in the year. It is now pre-installed in over 17 million UK broadband-enabled homes – around 70% of the total.
About the role
As a Data Engineer, you will be working with multiple types of data generated within the organisation, from user generated event data, to marketing campaign information, to sales data. Your mission will be to constantly improve data quality, availability, and usability across the organisation.
On a day to day basis you will be working with our data team to collect, organise, and document our incoming and generated data. It will be your responsibility to develop quality, reliable solutions for collecting data and working to implement solutions to analyse and productionise developments generated within the team, both internally and for our products.
The primary responsibility of this role will be in designing and implementing fit for purpose, resilient and scalable data pipelines to ingest and transform data from its raw form in variety of sources, perform variety of analytics on it and prepare it for visualisations. You will be required to help us build systems for data analyses and visualisations, to make sense of data and to inform decisions clearly and truthfully. Candidates will ideally have a BI/ETL/analytics background.
- Ensure the data architecture is optimised for large dataset acquisition, analysis, storage, cleansing, transformation and reclamation
- Develop standards and methodologies for benchmarking, performance, evaluation, testing, data security and data privacy
- Design and build the data analytics platform that will enable single customer view to function
- Maintain awareness on current and new technologies and analyse their applicability to single customer view
- Recommend and set objectives for unified data management practices such as meta-data management, provenance management, governance, stewardship, data quality and lifecycle management
- Establish and enforce policies, procedures, standards, methodologies, and metrics for data quality, metadata management, and master data management
- Provide recommendations, technical direction and leadership for Hadoop and NoSQL technologies as part of the overall data architecture for which Data Engineer will have ultimate ownership
- Contribute to the development, review, and maintenance of requirements documents, technical design documents and functional specifications
Skills and experience
- Ability to compose complex queries using SQL
- Keen interest in and capability of programming in Spark (Scala or Python)
- Demonstrated programming skills in Python for data wrangling (PySpark)
- Knowledge of cloud platforms (AWS and Databricks)
- Independent, motivated, collaborative, data lover
- Collaborating with clients to build supportive and trusting relationships
- Making complex concepts simple and easy to understand
- A love for metrics and efficiency
- Ability to quickly grasp other languages
- Knowledge of visualisation tools such as Tableau, Qlik, and Microsoft BI etc.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to work collaboratively with the team and build effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- A team player who supports and shares knowledge with wider Data team members.
- Organised, eye for quality, attention to detail and high level of accuracy in all aspects of work output.
- Strong self-starter, results and solutions driven approach required.
- Keen learner with a passion for staying up to date with latest trends / developments in Data Engineering.
STV is committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce and to equality of opportunity for all. We encourage applications from candidates currently under-represented in our industry, so we are keen to hear from people from a Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic background, disabled people (including neuro diversity) and those from a lower socio-economic background. We are a Disability Confident employer and are committed to offering an interview to disabled candidates who meet the minimum eligibility criteria for the role